Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sneaking Around

I snuck over to the greenhouses at Wellesley College yesterday for an hour or two. I didn't get too far but I did make two drawings that I like. The greenhouses are a generous place: they soothe my spirit and enliven my imagination. Their quiet rooms are perfectly warm and calm on these sullen and cold winter days and the amazing diversity of plant forms yields many surprises to my appreciative eyes. If I'm feeling out of sorts, this is the place to go to set things right.

One of the horticulturists at the greenhouses, a passionate fellow,  confided in me that he loves the place because "he's surrounded by living things". Think about it: chances are, you and I are generally surrounded by things that are most definitely not alive (computer, desk, books, paper, chair, tea, a pencil, etc. ) …well?

What do you think about that!? I hope you can spend some time in a cozy conservatory this winter.


Bonne nuit!


a view from the cacti & succulent room at the Wellesley College greenhouses

Plumbago indica
The flowers are actually a brilliant pink and the stems are green of course.
I wouldn't advise making a salad from any part of this plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...