Monday, May 14, 2018

Images of God

"God sighed: At least they can feed themselves"
05-11-18a
mixed media
My peripatetic reading this season has included two accessible and enjoyable books about the nature of God and humans:
"God: A Human History" by Reza Aslan (Random House, Nov. 2017)
"The Origins of Creativity" by E.O. Wilson (Norton, Oct. 2017)

Both books have their flaws as perceptive critics will eagerly point out. But, they get my gears and cogs and mental wheels running and wondering about the big stories we tell ourselves to help explain stuff. There are no shortage of stories about this thing we call "God."

My stories are just pictures… God is just a baby wondering why things are so messed up and sometimes so beautiful and enjoyable. You may wonder if I believe in God? You could also ask, Do I believe in rain or dust or ducks. They just are. Not a matter of belief. That just causes trouble!

God thought rain was pretty neat
05-12-18a
His toes were cold but the air was warm
05-12-18b
I'm just using a stencil here or mono printing from a paper cut-out.
This chubby playful God is indebted to Ziggy (a comic character created by Tom Wilson in the 70's). And this blog entry would be unfinished if I didn't mention Kitty Crowther's magisterial "Le petit homme et Dieu"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...