Monday, October 24, 2016

The National Cathedral

I attended worship at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. yesterday morning. They put on a great show and the building itself is the proverbial "sermon in stone." The ribs vault skyward into and through fields of colored light splashed by an ebullient stained glass Pollock. The darkened crypts and chapels below grade promise communion and acceptance of one's earthy limitations augmented by glittering lamp-lit mosaics telling stories of flesh and spirit sorting out their differences.

Naturally, I listen better (or at least tolerate better) the pomp and complexity of any dogma or catechism when I have a pencil in my hand. Me: always backing up into the spiritual realms hoping to vault into those spangled skies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...