Friday, March 21, 2014

Hill Towns

Oftentimes I open up my sketchbook and just start drawing and scribbling. These marks beget mountains and landscapes. Soon, cities are cropping up like moss or barnacles. A tidal wave of humanity rolls from the tip of my pencil. I paint an aerial perspective: dust storms in the distance or thunderheads overhead. Pointed pine trees give a sense of scale and scraggly manzanita suggest a non-specific locale.

If you put your ear to them you might hear dogs barking, children playing, car horns honking and birds singing. Or you might only hear the wind whistling through the branches of your crowded day. Listen some more ok?

Bonne journée!























1 comment:

  1. Dear Rob, I was very happy about your comment on my last post, thanks it means a lot to me. I made this little book there from another old sketchbook, I destroyed this sketchbook, cut it into three pieces, very arbitrary, and then assembled it again, and with that I continued, drawing, collage and decollage and again drawing. It was a great pleasure, what arises in this work process always surprizes me. A kind of daydreaming. Yes, and I think it is something similar to what you describe here, that we are going on a trip with drawing, without going crazy, are suddenly in a different city and spellbinding worlds. I like your cities very much, I think I have to draw in the next book also cities, lets see, towns are a great theme.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...