Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dragons & DNA

"Hellraiser"
April 13, 2013
ink, charcoal, crayon, digital
"Harvesting DNA"
April 13, 2013
charcoal, colored pencil, chalk, ink
Two dark pictures today. We all know that Hell is completely imaginary (and Heaven too for that matter). You will not find them on any reliable map (although this is sort of interesting). But, if Hell were a real place it would be habitat for the glorious creation that covers the entire Earth already. And I think that the denizens of Hell are mad as Hell and tired of the bad rap they get. And they may have a bone to pick with those who walk on two legs under the sun.

The second picture started out as this little cellular grid doodle a few weeks ago in another sketchbook. I revisited it this morning while the paint was drying on my little dragon painting (above). The cellular grid metastasized into a gooey DNA farm complete with the farmer hard at work bringing in the crops.

This is how I work: I doodle and work abstractly with crayons and ink and whatever is closest at hand. Inevitably, a space is created and it's usually some sort of landscape. In the absence of further personal intention or meaning, I add some sort of machine and one of the Pointy People and then I can say that I have redeemed a patch of worthless abstraction with the human presence. And maybe that's life in a nutshell. It could be …on certain days for sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Today, I'm off to Egypt. I'll tickle Ramesses II and cuddle the ferocious Sekhmet (I'll bring kitty treats) and contemplate the union of the Upper and Lower Kingdoms. Later my party will visit Harlem and maybe Windsor Castle. Ahhhh… the life of a museum guide for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...