Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Port Out, Starboard Home

In December 2008, I'd been drawing these kind of things a lot. Lots of things like these experimental doodles. I was having having fun experimenting and letting my mixed-mediums lead the way. I maintained a loose and natural focus and was prolific. I draw for myself whenever the chance arises.

 



 

2008 ended with these innocuous doodles where I used wax crayons and ink wash. I liked the resist and how the ink bled through the reverse side of the sketchbook pages.:

 

And then all hell broke loose in early 2009:




And I started making things that really looked like they could maybe be children's book illustrations (for me it was a form of therapy or self expression).

Owl and Tern (and a Bear) a story that remains unfinished…
And now, the very twisty - and sometimes painful - path has led to children's book illustration (an old goal of mine). I hope I do a good job. I'm still finding my way.

one of the characters is a small bird

the story takes place in a meadow

Once the book is published, I will be able to talk more freely about it.

I'd better get back to work.


11 comments:

  1. All are lovely Rob! We have your painting on wood on our mantle. Best, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Hi Annie. Thanks for thinking of me. I wish I could see a show of your recent work. It's so marvelous and tangled and luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about time! I always share your work with my elementary students and they think you are "cool"! Look forward to the book being published so I can share it with my students!

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. Teachers have used my "Crystal Cities" to teach kids various aspects of drawing. The samples I've seen are pretty impressive. This particular book is quite conservative artistically. But it's a very nice story and I enjoy painting nature subjects a great deal. The next book will hopefully be a bit more artistically free (I start work on it in October).

      Delete
  4. You're my hero, Rob :)
    Genius falls out of your pencil!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then I have to buy more pencils! I need Quentin Blake's "Magic Pencil!"

      Thank you sir!

      Delete
  5. I really liked how you show the evolution of your style. Your colored buildings are breath-taking, and your characters warm and expressive. I would say you're doing a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful and warm comments Laura. I do think I'm doing a good job making Art and being an artist --for the most part. But it'd be nice to always do more and follow each tendril of creativity to its conclusion. The artistic life is a tangled life. Again, many many thanks to you for spending time with my work. :-)

      Delete
  6. thanks for sharing a bit of your journey, rob. can't wait to see how your book turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw one of your artworks on pinterest then came here... Just want to say they are AWESOME! Simple childish sketches with such great influence and athmosphree. I can easily soak into my childhood watching these beautiful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xovika: Thank you so much. Your comment is a bouquet of happy thoughts.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...