Sunday, May 20, 2012

Unfinished Business

When is a painting finished?
When all the lines are colored in?
When all your colors are used up?
At 5 o'clock?

It's finished when it's ready to be finished!

Some are like restless, pesky zombies: they wander about and are just never settled. I guess a picture is finished when it has said something and added a bit of punctuation at the end of it all. It's never left hanging. There may be questions (the good kind that tell us something about ourselves). But never is the question: Is it finished?
Meet a few of my zombies:

Just playing around with paint… like playing with your food as a kid

This one actually did get finished but I had to turn the paper upside down to get some traction.

Where once there was a white expanse, now there is a sand dune and the sea. Then what happened? Indeed!

It's an illustration because there's text and an image on the page (not that they are in any way related!

The curse of decoration! Maybe things can exist just so the world can have a little more beauty and intrigue in it. 


the collage area at the bottom is nice but other than that…?

still working on this one. Always searching!

I think this picture wants something more or something else… all the birds wandering around without purpose. Sometimes, just that simple realization is all it takes and it's "finished." Doesn't Art drive you mad!



4 comments:

  1. Uuuh! the first painting at the top remembers me the sight, from the northest point of Iceland (there was a lighthouse and nothing else around), when I was there and I watched in the direction of the Arctic Circle! The same feeling, the mist and the grey colour, the watery air... It's wonderful! I would remain there for all the day, and more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment illusimi. I've been to Iceland and we're going again in July. Where is this lighthouse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the place is called Hraunhafnartangi, if you take a look at a map, you will find it in the north east of Iceland, it's the strip of land more close to the line of the Arctic Circle (2 km from there, in the sea). You will have to leave your car (I don't remember if there was a road sign, but if you will have a map with you, it will be easy) and walking until the lighthouse.
    When I went there, the path was covered with coloured fishing nets, the only colours of this landscape!
    Have a good trip!

    Me too I would like to come back there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. It sounds quite remote. I don't think we'll get out there but either way, I'll think of you. Iceland is a very beautiful country. The image of the colored fishing nets is interesting and could be the basis for a painting don't you think?

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...