Thursday, March 10, 2011

Snail on a Bicycle

"Snail on a bicycle"
3-10-11
I just started a book that has something to say about snails that I will recommend to you. The title snagged me and I imagine you'll be intrigued too: "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" by Elisabeth Tova Bailey. In this book, Bailey describes her long convalescence from a mysterious and devastating illness. While spending months bedridden, she observed a small snail that lived on a pot of violets on her night stand.

I had drawn this bicycle a few days ago before starting to read the book. Early this morning I debated whom to put on the bicycle: a fox, a bird, both animals? Maybe a snake? I think the snail is just right, paused on the brink. Just needs someone to give her a little push. She'll thank you later perhaps.

3 comments:

  1. I love the choice of a snail on the bicycle (as opposed to any other animal). The juxtaposition of the quintessential symbol of slowness with the image of a bike on the brink of a fast downhill run has my mind perked up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the snail seemed just about right. Now of course, my mind too is racing with all the permutations just to see which snail and X combination does NOT work visually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...